Mediumpigments, gilding on sized cloth
DimensionsWork : 2 3/4 x 2 1/2 x 1/2 in. (6.99 x 6.35 x 1.27 cm)
Credit LineGift of David Kamansky and Gerald Wheaton
LabelThe Panchen Lama is the second highest ranking cleric in the Gelug School after the Dalai Lama. The title of Panchen Lama was first granted to Chökyi Gyaltsen (1570-1662), who served as chief tutor to the Fifth Dalai Lama. The title was then applied retroactively to three of Gyaltsen’s previous incarnations, so that he became officially the Fourth Panchen Lama. This painting depicts one of the Panchen Lamas, probably either the Fourth or the Sixth. He is portrayed sitting on a textile-covered throne wearing monk’s robes and a scholar’s hat. His right hand is held up in a teaching gesture and his left hand holds a vase containing three symbolic jewels.